Friday, May 01, 2020

I'm getting angry: Coronavirus edition

I am very sad about what's been happening in America. Sad about the deaths, sad about the need for social distancing, and sad about being ordered to stay at home. I'm sad about the disruption to schools (my children, e.g,), to retail, to public entertainment, and to the freedom to enjoy this beautiful country.

I find myself struggling to maintain any sense of optimism for myself, my family, and my country. 😪

 But I'm also struggling with incipient anger. I'm angry at Trump for ongoing delays in an adequate federal response, in the obvious ways his narcissism and basic illiteracy stand in the way of reason and science, and in the ridiculous display by some right wingers of hatred toward their fellow humans. But I'm also feeling angry at those who enabled Trump to become president.

All of my friends know that I thought Hillary was highly qualified and would be a great president. (I still believe this.) I know, this was adjudicated in 2016, in a way that I didn't expect.

Trump won, somehow. But some of you participated in that unexpected political result. Some of you hated Hillary (for questionable reasons); some of you loved Trump (howsoever initially reluctant); some of you didn't care because, as you said, the election didn't matter. Some of you didn't vote, some of you voted for the spoilers (Gary Johnson, Jill Stein), and some of you clung to your resentment related to Bernie Sanders or various others.

I'm struggling with being angry at y'all. 

Whoever becomes president is not the "fault" of any particular person. We're all entitled to have our opinions and to express those views at the ballot box. One typically hopes that common sense will overcome temporary fanaticism.

 I also understand why Hillary wasn't a perfect candidate. The Republicans successfully grabbed the narrative (with help from the FBI and the Russians). I understand that Trump promised to "shake things up." I understand the desire for systematic change.

 But I don't understand why any reasonable person would support Donald J. Trump. We all knew who he was. A celebrity. A con artist. NOT a believer in government or international cooperation. Not a real Republican. A hypersexual playboy. Bankrupt several times. A congenital liar. Someone unwilling to share tax returns, college transcripts, or details of his business entanglements. Accused of sexual assault. An avoider of personal responsibility. A luster after women (including his daughter and his employees). Not IN ANY WAY admirable as a person. (Still not.)

 So why did you vote for him? Lesser of two evils? A "snappy dresser?" Someone who will dismantle the so-called "Deep State"? An entertaining rally speaker? WTF? We were electing a PRESIDENT, not a "disrupter" or entertainer or, even a Republican. (Is he a fiscal conservative? Hawkish on Russia and the undemocratic Arab states? Cued in on North Korea? Willing to work with our allies?).

 So, I'm getting angry at you. Not just the conservatives among you. The so-called "liberals" as well.

 HOW THE F7CK CAN YOU LOOK AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR today!?!

 I'm calling some of you out. I'm angry at you.

Please convince me that you didn't make a terrible mistake. Or, unfriend me. Because you KNOW I stick to my beliefs, even though I am willing to engage with friends and family who don't share my bedrock values. Specifically,

I'm calling out some Facebook friends. Are you still happy with your choice? Anyone willing to repent and repudiate Trump? Anyone I missed and should call out as well? I'm sorry. I'm angry. Forgive me.

No comments: